Monday, August 30, 2010

Milk and Cheese

Since I am writing my cookbook "Cooking Totally Gluten Free the Grain Free Approach" I have been looking at other common food problems.
One is milk and cheese.
Most people believe milk and cheese can't be tolerated because of the lactose.
I believe after watching my children eat, it is more likely the grain from the feed of the cows getting into the milk.
Think of this, when a human mother is nursing all the nutrients and food flavors gets in the breast milk. We are cautioned not to drink alcohol or coffee to keep our milk pure. I had one nursing friend who had to give up all dairy while nursing because what she was eating was affecting her babies digestion.
My observation of my children is that when they have a non organic, non grass feed dairy product they are sick with common gluten sensitivity within 5 minutes. But when they consume grass fed dairy there is not a problem in the world.

Of course if you are allergic to the lactose don't change a thing and always talk to your Dr first. Remember to check Allergy and illness to see the differences.

About Cheese. I believe our cheese should come from grass fed cows as well, but I found this information on cheese that is worth mentioning if you are looking to get rid of the lactose.
From the website http://www.indiadiets.com/diets/Eat%20to%20beat%20illness/Lactose_intolerance.htm
* Cheese may be better tolerated than milk due to a lower lactose content.
* Cheese is also well-tolerated because during the cheese-making process, most of the whey is removed (and the lactose with it). In mature, ripened cheese, lactose disappears entirely within three to four weeks.
* Specific kinds of cheese which you can reasonably expect to tolerate fairly well include cheddar, Colby, Swiss, Parmesan and cottage cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Are you aware that goat cheese has zero grams of lactose? Currently in my fridge I have lactose free goat's brie and several types of hard goat cheeses. They're delicious and add variety to the tradional chevre. Do your children have reactions to goat cheese? Also, I wonder if goats eat a grain based diet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for sharing that information and also the info about goats milk. I had heard both of those bits of info many years ago but it bears repeating! I have often wondered too if you are allergic to grains and the animals eat those grains, how can you not be sensitive to the meat and/or milk. Another part of the milk that many celiacs and people with autoimmune disease are sensitive to is the protein, casein. It is attacked by the body in some people the same way as gluten. I belong to a Yahoo group of which almost everyone who is GF is also CF. It doesn't seem to bother me...... YET.

    ReplyDelete